Agios Vasilios Agoras Agios Vasileios Agoras (of the Market)

social icon

Agios Vasilios Agoras

It is located in the old quarter of the Tourkopazaro at Arta. The church dates back to the end of the 14th century, while the preserved wall paintings to the 17th.

The first researchers mentioning the church of Agios Vasileios is the Russian archimandrite Antoninos in 1886 and the Metropolitan Bishop Serapheim in 1884.

During the 17th century, the Greek School of the scholar Castorianos Manolakis was established in its precinct.

It is a single-aisled basilica with two conched chapels. The south is dedicated to St. Gregory and the north to the memory of St. John Chrysostom.

The walls are lavishly decorated on the outside with patterns in brick and tile. Two glazed clay icons were preserved on the pediment of the east side: The Three Hierarchs and the Crucifixion.

It is a decorative masterpiece, definitely worth visiting.


Virtual Tour


    Σχετικά Άρθρα

    Font Resize