Historical Site of Souli
Souli consists of a group of four settlements (Souli, Samoniva, Avarikos and Kiafa), which are also known as Tetrachori (Four Villages) or Souliotochoria.
They are located in a predominantly mountainous and in the past inaccessible area at the boundaries of the prefectures of Thesprotia, Preveza and Ioannina.
The first settlements were set up around the 16th century.
Later seven more villages were joined around Tetrachori and created the Souliot Confederacy, which was autonomous. The clans, the Church and the War Council played an Important role in its administration.
The society was organized into clans (families) of which the most important was the families of Tzavellas, Botsaris, Dagklis and Zervas.
The Souliotes were in constant skirmishes with the Ottoman conquerors and their martial virtues became legendary. Among the most important wars are the ones with Ali Pasha, who tried three times to sieze Souli.
In 1803, after the capitulation they were forced to abandon their homeland.
Shortly before the surrender of Souli, among named Samuel in an act of self-sacrifice and heroic resistance, blew the monastery of Agia Paraskevi.heroic resistance, blew the monastery of Agia Paraskevi.