The Prefecture of Thesprotia lies in the most northwestern part of mainland Greece, one of the outermost regions of the country. Its capital is Igoumenitsa.
In the 4th century BCE, the Thesprotians created remarkably well-organised urban agglomerations for the time. Their story can be clearly discerned in the ruined castles, towns and churches. In the15th century BCE, Thesprotia fell into the hands of the Ottomans, and the Souliots fought fiercely with Ali Pasha to liberate Ioannina.
In the end, its annexation as part of Greece did not take place until 1913, when the Greek army put an end to the Ottoman Empire in Greece. In the beginning the area was ceded to Ioannina, becoming independent in 1928.
In the area there is an abundance of cultural riches, visitors have the opportunity to visit several archaeological sites. To start with, there is Elea, which is the first known fortified settlement, located in the Municipality of Souli and established some time in the middle of the 4th century BCE.
There is also a fortified settlement at Fanoti – Doliani. The area is near Parapotamo and the ruins are impressive. Many tourists visit the Ragio Tower, which was an important military stronghold in the 5th century BC and was actively occupied until the Ottoman period. To the long list of archaeological sites we can also add Gitana and Dimokastro, which complete the highly interesting cultural mosaic.