The Archaeological Site of Dodoni
The origins of the sanctuary of Dodona, which is known for its nationwide radiation, date back to the Bronze Age (2600-1200 BC).
Originally, it was outdoors and it was there that the Great Goddess, goddess of fertility, was worshiped; later, it was replaced by the worship of Dodona Zeus (Zeus Naios) and his wife Dioni.
The priests uttered the oracles by listening to the rustling of the leaves or the sound of the tripods around the sacred oak of Zeus (fagus).
The Naia, famous Panhellenic games, were held in honour of Zeus.
The first temple, the “Sacred House”, started being built in the 4th century BC. However, the Sanctuary was fully renovated in the 3rd century BC, during the reign of King Pyrrhus.
At around the Prytaneum, the Bouleuterion and the Theater, which is one of the biggest ancient theaters of Greece (approximately 17,000 seats), were built.
Homer, and other ancient Greek writers, mention the oracle of Dodona as the oldest in the Greek world.